In the modern world, with an increasing amount of stuff and decreasing space to keep them, storage units come as a savior. But “how to pick a storage unit” that perfectly suits your requirements can be a daunting task. Here, we will delve deep into six critical considerations and tips that will guide you on how to pick a storage unit that meets your needs.
1. Location: The Geographical Consideration
When pondering over “how to pick a storage unit,” the first aspect to consider is location. It is generally advisable to choose a storage unit facility that is easily accessible from your home or workplace. Consider the following tips:
- Proximity: Ensure the unit is close enough for regular visits if necessary.
- Safety: Research the safety of the neighborhood where the storage facility is located.
- Accessibility: Check if the roads leading to the facility are well-maintained.
2. What You’re Storing: Categorizing Your Belongings
Understanding what you are storing is a vital step in determining how to pick a storage unit. Some items may require special conditions such as climate-controlled units. Here are tips to help you decide:
- Inventory: Make an inventory of all items you plan to store.
- Sensitive items: Identify items that might need special storage conditions.
- Organize: Plan on organizing the items efficiently in the storage space.
3. How Much You Have to Store: Determining the Space Required
Knowing how much you have to store can significantly influence how to pick a storage unit suitable for your needs. Consider the following strategies:
- Measure: Measure the largest items to ensure they will fit in the storage unit.
- List: Create a list of all items to get a rough estimate of the space needed.
- Extra Space: Consider renting a slightly larger unit for ease of access and organization.
4. Security: Ensuring the Safety of Your Belongings
Security should be a priority when figuring out how to pick a storage unit. Your belongings need to be in a secure place, and here’s how you can ensure this:
- Surveillance: Ensure the facility has adequate security cameras.
- Guards: Check if the facility has security guards on duty.
- Locks: Invest in a high-quality lock for your storage unit.
5. Access: Ensuring Ease of Entry
When learning how to pick a storage unit, understanding the kind of access you will have to your belongings is crucial. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Hours: Consider the operating hours of the facility.
- Accessibility: Ensure that the unit is accessible, considering aspects like the width of the doors and corridors.
- Tools: Check if the facility offers tools and equipment to help move items.
6. The Contract: Reading the Fine Print
Finally, understanding the terms of the contract is the last crucial step in how to pick a storage unit. Keep the following pointers in mind:
- Duration: Understand the minimum and maximum rental durations.
- Policies: Be clear about the policies, including those on termination.
- Insurance: Consider getting insurance for your belongings.
Maintenance Advice: Keeping Your Unit in Top Condition
When pondering over how to pick a storage unit, maintenance should not be overlooked. Regular maintenance ensures that your items remain in pristine condition. Consider these tips:
- Cleaning: Regularly clean the unit to prevent dust accumulation.
- Pest control: Engage in periodic pest control measures.
- Review: Regularly review the items in your storage to discard unnecessary things and maintain organization.
Understanding “how to pick a storage unit” is essential in ensuring the safety and accessibility of your belongings. While picking a storage unit, considering factors such as the location, what and how much you are storing, security, access, and understanding the contract details are crucial. Moreover, following maintenance advice will ensure that your storage unit remains in the best condition possible, safeguarding your belongings for the long term.
Remember to conduct detailed research and possibly visit prospective sites before making a decision. Good luck with finding the perfect storage unit that suits all your needs!
Greenbar Secure Storage has a wide range of storage units available in Prineville, for Bend, Madras, and Redmond. They offer a variety, including ground-level access, security cameras, 24/7 accessibility, and parking spaces. Locally owned and operated, we are the best choice for convenient and clean self-storage units. All of our commercial storage clients accept deliveries from businesses to make things as smooth as possible!
- Extra security and family-friendly
- Unbeatable onsite entrance tech
- Each unit is protected by a unique code
- Access your unit at your leisure
- Save money and have convenience when you most need it
We are proud of the many layers and security of control we have put into our secure storage units such as:
- High, heavy-duty fencing surrounds the storage facility at all locations including Redmond
- You can access your unit via electronic access using personalized codes.
- Timed access to individual units after entry and an automatic reset of security
- Galvanized steel walls are almost impossible to crack in storage units in Madras and our locations in Central Oregon.
- All hours of the day and night, well-lit areas in Bend and other Greenbar Secure Self Storage centers.
- A resident storage manager who lives on-site, carefully selected and screened and selected out of Prineville.