Handling and moving artwork, especially paintings, can be nerve-wracking. The thought of causing damage to a treasured piece due to inadequate packing or storage is a legitimate concern. Here, we provide a comprehensive guide to safely packing and storing paintings and ensuring their safe transportation.
- Cleaning and Drying: Before you even think of storing a painting, always ensure it is clean and completely dry. Any residual moisture or dirt can cause mold growth or discoloration over time.
- Protection: For the optimal safety of the artwork, wrap the painting in acid-free paper or bubble wrap. This shields the painting from dust, moisture, and potential physical damage. Once wrapped, secure the painting to ensure the protective materials stay in place.
- Ideal Storage Conditions: The key to properly packing and storing artwork lies in choosing the right environment. A cool, dry place that’s devoid of direct sunlight is crucial. Extremes in temperature and humidity can warp, crack, or fade paintings.
- Avoid Risky Areas: Basements and attics, while tempting, are not ideal for packing and storing paintings. They tend to experience frequent temperature and humidity fluctuations which can be detrimental to artwork.
- Storing Multiple Paintings: If you have more than one painting to store, always place a sheet of acid-free paper or cardboard between them. This ensures that they don’t touch each other, which can lead to scratches or the transfer of paint.
Packing Paintings for Moving or Transporting:
- Preparation: As with packing and storing, begin with a clean and dry painting. This prepares the artwork for the journey ahead.
- Wrapping and Securing: Protect your painting by wrapping it in acid-free paper or bubble wrap. Once done, use packing tape to ensure the protective materials don’t shift during transport.
- Box Selection: The choice of box can make a significant difference. Opt for a sturdy cardboard box that’s a tad larger than the painting. This gives you ample room to cushion the painting further and prevent any movement.
- Filling the Box: Fill any voids within the box with packing peanuts or additional bubble wrap. This is an essential step in packing and storing artwork for transportation as it offers an extra layer of protection against shocks or jolts.
- Sealing and Labeling: Once the painting is securely packed inside, seal the box with packing tape. Label the package prominently as “fragile” or “artwork” to ensure careful handling during transit.
- Securing the Painting: During transportation, paintings can easily shift or fall if not properly secured. It’s vital to ensure they are stable, especially during long or bumpy rides.
- Temperature and Humidity Control: Just as with packing and storing, avoid extreme conditions during transportation. It’s best to move artwork on days that are mild and free from extreme weather conditions.
- Multiple Paintings: If transporting more than one painting, separate them using cardboard or foam. This guards against potential damage caused by them rubbing against each other.
- Choosing a Shipping Company: If you’re not transporting the painting yourself, choose a shipping company known for artwork transport. Their experience will be invaluable.
- Insurance: Always insure the painting for its full value. Accidents can happen, and having coverage ensures you’re compensated for any loss or damage.
Whether you’re packing and storing or transporting paintings, the key lies in meticulous preparation and understanding the specific needs of artwork. With the right approach and materials, you can ensure your paintings remain in pristine condition wherever they are.
Greenbar Secure Storage has a wide range of storage units available in Prineville, for Bend, Madras, and Redmond. They offer a variety, including ground-level access, security cameras, 24/7 accessibility, and parking spaces. Locally owned and operated, we are the best choice for convenient and clean self-storage units. All of our commercial storage clients accept deliveries from businesses to make things as smooth as possible!
- Extra security and family-friendly
- Unbeatable onsite entrance tech
- Each unit is protected by a unique code
- Access your unit at your leisure
- Save money and have convenience when you most need it
We are proud of the many layers and security of control we have put into our secure storage units such as:
- High, heavy-duty fencing surrounds the storage facility at all locations including Redmond
- You can access your unit via electronic access using personalized codes.
- Timed access to individual units after entry and an automatic reset of security
- Galvanized steel walls are almost impossible to crack in storage units in Madras and our locations in Central Oregon.
- All hours of the day and night, well-lit areas in Bend and other Greenbar Secure Self Storage centers.
- A resident storage manager who lives on-site, carefully selected and screened and selected out of Prineville.