Imagine that you are reading a weather report and see that freezing temperatures are predicted. All your cold-weather clothing is stored. You are feeling the chill and wind whipping and decide to make your way to your self-storage units in Prineville.
You realize that half your belongings have been moved to the side of the storage unit and that you have not found your boots. It sounds terrible, but imagine how frustrating it must be when you discover that all your holiday decorations and baking supplies are in storage.
It is not something you want to do, especially when the weather is poor or your timing is difficult. It’s worth planning ahead so that you don’t have to deal with any problems later. These are nine easy tips to organize your storage units in Prineville so you can easily find what you need.
1. Choose one size box for all, or most of your items.
Similar-sized boxes make it easier to stack and are easy to access. Greenbar Secure Storage’s small and medium boxes are perfect for most of the items in your home. Large boxes work well for lighter items, but they may not be able to hold up in large stacks. If you have to take something out of large boxes, especially at the bottom of stacks, it can be more difficult.
2. Identify what you might need to access while in storage.
You may need items you don’t use often when you pack. Consider what you might need while you store your items, paying special attention to seasonal items.
These are some things that you might need to get out of your storage unit.
- Summer or winter clothing
- Trip supplies (tents, sleeping bags, snorkeling gear, sleds, cookout utensils)
- Decor, costumes, and bakeware are all holiday items
- Toys for kids (kids might enjoy a “new box” of toys if they are bored with the toys they have been packing).
- Tools and hobbies supplies
- Office documents
3. Each box that you pack should be labeled.
Each box should be labeled on its top and at least one side. Labels should include a unique number, where it came from, and what the contents are. You can mark boxes that you might need at some point in storage. Remember to place them in your storage units in Prineville first. Make sure to include as much detail as possible about the contents.
4. Make a master content list.
Note down the contents of each box and the number of the box on paper. Although this may seem like an inordinate task, a master list can be very helpful if you have to locate a particular item.
You can even use tools to dictate text, so you don’t have to type every word. If you’re not confident in your handwriting and want to take your organization to the next level, you can print every line of your inventory to create labels for your boxes.
5. You should plan a well-organized layout for your storage space.
You will need to plan how to pack your storage unit if you intend to use it often. To make sure that the unit is accessible, place the furniture on the opposite wall to your boxes. You can easily access your furniture and boxes this way. You can place your most portable items in the middle if you have to use that space.
6. Upgrade to a larger unit.
Although you could fill every inch like a Tetris master but it makes it difficult to retrieve items. You can make your storage space more spacious by adding shelving units to your unit. Also, you can create a path through your unit’s middle for easy access and quick retrieval of most of your belongings.
You can also use space to place things on the ground, such as wooden or plastic pallets, to make sure your furniture, appliances, and boxes don’t get splattered. You don’t want space that you won’t use.
7. Stack boxes or shelve them.
Sturdy shelves can be placed along one wall of the unit if you need to store your items for a long time. These guidelines will help you stack your boxes if it is not.
- In order of your need, stack from the back to the front. You will be most likely to reach the boxes you need the most often. They should be located near the door, or on shelves with labels facing outside.
- You can then stack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones. Do not stack boxes higher than your head. You should be careful how high you stack boxes. If they are higher than your head, the entire stack can fall, creating a safety hazard for both you and any items in the storage units in Prineville.
- When stacking identical-sized boxes, consider using a brick wall pattern. Although it may seem inefficient as you will have gaps at the ends of your stacks, the brick wall pattern can be used to remove and place boxes without having to move the ones above.
8. You can place a map of all your belongings in the unit so that everyone can see them.
You don’t have to mark boxes and items that are easily visible. However, you should indicate any items that get lost on the map. It’s enough to know the area. A hand-drawn sketch is sufficient.
You can divide your unit into sections, listing the box numbers and items in each section on your map. You can use your master content list and map to locate a box or item that was buried behind the storage units in Prineville.
9. Do not be afraid to take all your boxes out.
You might save time later if you have already packed and have lots of boxes that aren’t labeled. You can reuse seasonal items such as bakeware or clothes, and pack them in their own boxes.
You can pack items that fit into general categories. However, you don’t want to bring boots or coats with snorkeling gear. It will be easier to forgive yourself if you take the extra time to organize, label, and repackage everything.
These five steps can be time-consuming at first, especially if everything is already in boxes. But they are worth it. This will help you save a lot of energy and time in the future.
Call Greenbar Secure Storage
Greenbar Secure Storage has a wide range of storage units available in Prineville, for Bend, Madras, and Redmond. They offer a variety, including ground-level access, security cameras, 24/7 accessibility, and parking spaces. Locally owned and operated, we are the best choice for convenient and clean self-storage units. All of our commercial storage clients accept deliveries from businesses to make things as smooth as possible!
- Extra security and family-friendly
- Unbeatable onsite entrance tech
- Each unit is protected by a unique code
- Access your unit at your leisure
- Save money and have convenience when you most need it
We are proud of the many layers and security of control we have put into our secure storage units such as:
- High, heavy-duty fencing surrounds the storage facility at all locations including Redmond
- You can access your unit via electronic access using personalized codes.
- Timed access to individual units after entry and an automatic reset of security
- Galvanized steel walls are almost impossible to crack in storage units in Madras and our locations in Central Oregon.
- All hours of the day and night, well-lit areas in Bend and other Greenbar Secure Self Storage centers.
- A resident storage manager who lives on-site, carefully selected and screened and selected out of Prineville.
Contact us to reserve your secure unit today with Greenbar Secure Storage!